Airline Startup Of The Week: Tchadia Airlines 0

Tchadia Airlines

Last week we wrote that Joon was our airline startup of the week. Now, we’ve written frequently about Ethiopian Airlines and their many local startups. This week the airline of the week which we’re focusing on is one of these airlines. Tchadia Airlines is the airline which Ethiopian is running along with investment from the government of Chad. As such, the airline has become Chad’s flag carrier with its first flight on 1st October 2018.

Tchadia Airlines
One of Tchadia’s two Q400 aircraft.

11 Initial Routes

Tchadia Airlines
The initial 11 routes that Tchadia Airways will launch with. Image: GCMap

Tchadia Airlines commenced operations on 1st of October. The airline currently has two aircraft in its fleet, both of which are Q400 aircraft. Tchadia is rather fortunate in that the airline only faced direct competition on two of its routes. The competition is provided by ASKY between Chad’s capital city and Cameroon’s Douala airport. Additionally, Air Cote d’Ivoire operates flights on the route. Tarco Air offers a weekly flight between N’Djamena and Khartoum.

Tchadia Airways
A water cannon salute is a typical way for airports to welcome new carriers.

The 11 routes visit a total of 6 countries. 6 of the routes are domestic routes. Interestingly, all of the domestic routes are operated in a triangle. The triangular flights will operate four times weekly with two flights in each direction each week. The airline has left space in the aircraft’s schedules, meaning that it has the capability to add more routes in the future as required. The airline is using Ethiopian’s flight number designation ET. All of the flights operated will increase the number of seats offered on Chad flights by an impressive 56%!

Tchadia Airlines
The Tchadia Airways schedule sees both of the airline’s aircraft flying about 50 hours a week.
Source: OAG Schedules Analyser data w/c 16 October.

Strategic Equity Partnership

Similar to Ethiopian’s arrangement with the Zambian government, Ethiopian Airlines has funded just under half of Tchadia Airlines, with the national government footing the other half. The Chadian Government owns 51% of the venture, with Ethiopian Airlines owning the other 49%, meaning that the government has the controlling say in the airline.

Tchadia Airways
Media take an interest as operations by Chadian carrier Tchadia Airways commence.

Speaking about the launch of the airline the CEO of the Ethiopian Group, Mr Tewolde GebreMariam told press: “The strategic equity partnership in the launching of the new Chad national carrier is part of our Vision 2025 multiple hub strategy in Africa. The new Chad national carrier will serve as a strong hub in Central Africa availing domestic, regional and eventually international air connectivity to the major destinations in the Middle East, Europe and Asia.”

Would you fly on Tchadia Airways given the chance? Let us know in the comments below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *