Turkish Airlines’ subsidiary, AnadoluJet, will launch Birmingham to Antalya and Dalaman in June, with both routes operating once-daily from the get-go. There are now more flights planned from the Midlands airport to these Turkish destinations this summer than in the past 10 years.
Birmingham Airport is to welcome AnadoluJet, a subsidiary of Turkish Airlines, this summer, with not one but two routes beginning on the same day using 189-seat B737-800s:
Antalya: once-daily from June 19th
- TK7968: depart Antalya at 09:00 and arrive Birmingham at 11:40
- TK7969: depart Birmingham at 12:40 and arrive back at 18:50
Dalaman: once-daily from June 19th
- TK7970: depart Dalaman at 09:10 and arrive Birmingham at 11:40
- TK7971: depart Birmingham at 12:40 and arrive back at 18:50
Speaking of the announcement, Tom Screen, Birmingham’s Aviation Director, said:
“As we prepare to welcome customers back flying again, we are extremely pleased that AnadoluJet will be offering new services to Antalya and Dalaman. Working with its parent company, Turkish Airlines, over many years of flying to Istanbul from Birmingham, I know that customers will receive outstanding service, affordability and reliability with AnadoluJet.”
Record number of flights
AnadoluJet will compete head-to-head with Jet2 and TUI in the week that both routes begin. The competitive make-up will be the same: Jet2 with seven weekly flights and TUI with five.
If all three airlines are combined, both Antalya and Dalaman will have 19 weekly flights in this June week, each up from 13 in the same week in 2019. But that’s not it.
Later this summer, Dalaman will rise to 22 weekly – the highest this decade – from Jet2’s offering growing to 10-weekly. Simple Flying recently showed that Birmingham is Jet2’s second-largest base this summer.
Birmingham to Antalya up strongly
The present coronavirus-driven rise in demand to Turkey helps to explain why AnadoluJet is launching these routes. This month, Simple Flying showed that Birmingham will see nine widebody routes with TUI this summer, including to Dalaman and Antalya. This, and 19 weekly flights across all airlines, illustrates why Antalya has become almost as strong as traditionally British Dalaman in seat and flight terms.
More routes from Birmingham this year
Along with AnadoluJet’s new services, Birmingham is to welcome many others this year, including:
- Eastern Airways: Gibraltar, twice-weekly from May 28th
- easyJet: Amsterdam, 14 weekly, May 28th
- Eurowings: Palma, twice-weekly, May 22nd
- Jet2: Amsterdam, twice-weekly, September 10th
- Jet2: Berlin, twice-weekly, November 26th
- Jet2: Chambery, once-weekly, December 21st
- Jet2: Jersey, once-weekly, May 22nd
- Jet2: Kalamata, once-weekly, May 23rd
- Jet2: Preveza, once-weekly, May 23rd
- Jet2: Santorini, once-weekly, May 18th
- Loganair: Isle of Man, seven-weekly, June 21st
- Ryanair: Poznan, twice-weekly, July 3rd
- Ryanair: Rhodes, twice-weekly, June 4th
- Wizz Air: Larnaca, twice-weekly, May 17th