IHG is one of the biggest hotel chains out there. Three are over 4,500 hotels worldwide, and the brand offers a wide range from small lower end airport hotels, to upscale, luxurious resorts. To earn a substantial number of points, you don’t have to stay many nights. Some of the best ways to earn IHG points can be done without ever setting foot in an IHG hotel.
Unless you are road warrior whose job means they are staying in hotels 3 to 5 nights to weeks, there is an easy way to pick up a ton of IHG Points. You can earn a ton of points for everyday spending as well using the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Card.
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card has some great earning potential, comes with an 80,000 point welcome bonus, and will earn you the following:
- Earn 10X points per dollar spent at IHG properties worldwide
- Earn 2 points per dollar at grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations
- Earn 1 point per dollar on all other expenses
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier also has a rich host of features and benefits, including complimentary Platinum status, 4th night free on award bookings, and a 20% discount of the purchase of IHG points.
Earning With Partners
IHG has a well-developed network of partners, who you can earn points with. Partners who you can earn points with include:
- If you rent cars, you can earn IHG points when renting cars with Hertz and Avis
- Next time you go out for dinner, use the IHG dining program to earn even more points for your meal
- You can book some of the best cruises through the IHG Cruise and Earn program, which will earn you up to 40,000 bonus points
Remember to pay for your activities with your IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card to earn even more IHG points.
One of the most lucrative promotions in the hotel world is the quarterly IHG Accelerate Promotions. These promotions are structured like a game with various tasks earning you bonus points. Tasks typically are similar to:
- Downloading and booking a stay with the IHG App
- Stay at 2 or 3 brands and earn a bonus
- Complete 4 or 5 nights and earn a bonus
- Stay during a given month and earn a bonus
IHG typically issues several promotions, and yours will be targeted. These can be very lucrative since multiple tasks can be stacked up. So staying one night could satisfy the task of staying in a month, count towards staying at two brands, and completing four stays. This ability means you can earn several thousand bonus points for completing a handful of stays.
One thing to note is in Q4 2018 IHG is offering unlimited double point on all stays through December 31, 2018, instead of its usual gamified Accelerate promotion.
If you are a few points short of a redemption and need to top up your IHG balance, you can always transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to IHG. This means points earned from your Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, and Ink Business Preferred Card. Can be used to get closer to your next stay.
If you are clever with your planning and spending, you can pick up a substantial balance of IHG points every year, for a handful of stays and a few other activities. From a steak dinner to a holiday cruise, or picking up some groceries at the supermarket you can earn IHG points for virtually anything.