Transfers to Virgin Atlantic from Citi ThankYou now receive a 30% bonus. The latest promotion from Citi runs through October 13, 2018, 11:59 PM ET. Normally transfers from Citi to Virgin are at a ratio of 1:1 with a minimum transfer of 1,000 points. The bonus is hardcoded in the ratio, and for every 1,000 points, you transfer you will receive 1,300 Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles.
- Bonus applies on transfers made before October 13, 2018, 11:59 PM ET
- Earn a transfer bonus of 30%
- Minimum transfer of 1,000 points
- There is no limit on the number of points you can transfer
Using Your Miles
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club has several sweet spots to maximize the value of your miles. Flying with Virgin from the UK to Los Angeles or Las Vegas for 50,000 miles one way in Business class is a great redemption option. You can also book awards with Virgin’s partner Delta. Round trip awards between London LHR and various US cities start at 90,000 miles. Not surprisingly for an airline that made its name flying the transatlantic route, it offers the best award value on the same routes.
Stand Out Airline Programs
Three airlines stand out when it comes to credit card point transfers. Most airlines have an exclusive deal with one transfer partner. Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, and Air France/KLM Flying Blue are transfer partners for all three major US credit card points currencies. You can transfer American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Citi ThankYou Points to all three airlines.
The three options can be a lifesaver, especially if you are after an award but don’t have enough points in a single account to convert to miles. The ability to pool various credit card currency points into one airline program gets you one step closer to the redemption you want.
To Transfer or Not to Transfer
Transferring credit card points speculatively is not recommended no matter how good the deal for a couple of reasons. First, if you have no immediate use for the points a sudden unplanned devaluation can drastically reduce the value of your points. Second, you lose a lot of flexibility by trapping your points with a hotel or airline. The strength of Credit card points is their flexibility and the ability to move them quickly to take advantage of an offer. Trapping them is not a good idea. That being said if you do have an upcoming award with Virgin in mind then this promotion will add some value to your hard-earned Citi ThankYou points.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards