The Airbus A330 Neo is an aircraft to rival the B787. It is built to replace ageing B767, A330CEO, and A340 aircraft. The aircraft launched in 2014, however, unlike the B787 which has sold nearly 1,400 units the A330neo has only sold 224 aircraft.
The neo range is Airbus’ new range of aircraft. The name neo stands for New Engine Option. In contrast, ceo stands for current engine option. While just looking at the numbers the B787 seems more successful than the A330 neo, this isn’t necessarily the case. The B787 took it’s first flight almost 8 years ago, while the airbus is slightly younger, taking its first flight just under a year ago.
While the A330-900neo is a clear step up from its predecessor, it is slightly lacking behind the B787-9. The number of seats on the aircraft makes barely any difference, however the B787 excels in its range. The Boeing aircraft has a range of almost 1000km more than its airbus competition. To put this into perspective, the difference in range is roughly equal to the distance between London and Nuremberg.
|Range||11,750 km||13,334 km||14,140 km|
|Wingspan||60.3 m||64 m||60 m|
TAP Air Portugal is a loyal Airbus customer. They currently have a fleet of 71 Airbus aircraft. In addition the airline has 68 further Airbus aircraft on order. Of these future aircraft, 21 are comprised of the A330-900neo. The airline will be the first in the world to operate the new aircraft. The program has suffered a few setbacks, with a 2016 press release by TAP stating “Passengers will soon be able to experience the Airspace by Airbus cabin for the first time when these aircraft enter service around the end of 2017.”
“On 20 March this year, TAP made history with this aircraft when TAP pilots took the A330-900neo for a flight in Toulouse. Normally only Airbus pilots are allowed to operate these flights. The aircraft was tested in several different flight configurations that are only used in training simulators, as well as several take-off and landing manoeuvres.”
The A330-900neo will be the first aircraft to feature the new “Airspace by Airbus” cabin. On the Airbus website the Airspace cabin is described as “Airspace by Airbus is a cabin experience, that gives passenger and airlines more of what really matters. You will find we have elevated the feeling of space inside our aircraft to another level.”
The interior of the aircraft has undergone a complete overhaul with Airbus aiming to make the cabin more relaxing, beautiful, liveable, and inspirational. It is achieving this goal by introducing new features such as led lighting which will reduce jet lag, and enhance passenger’s moods. The cabin will also offer 18” seats in economy class, following Airbus’ calls for this width to become a minimum industrial standard in 2013.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards