One of the best hotels promotions out there is the quarterly IHG Accelerate promotion. With the promotion, you would earn bonus points for completing various tasks. The promotion was tailored, and several versions would exist. However, in Q4 2018 IHG has made some changes and introduced a double points promotion that is structured in the same way as its Accelerate promotions.
- The promotion is valid for stays through December 16, 2018
- You need to register to unveil your challenges and earn double points
- Earn double points for every stay
- The promotion guarantees the option to earn a minimum of 15,000 points
- Bonus points post to your account in a maximum of 2-3 weeks
My offer this month is for a maximum of 33,800 points. I can earn up to 30,000 double points as a bonus, and an additional 3,800 points for booking three stays with the IHG App.
How Well Does The Promotion Stack Up?
The promotion does not stack well against previous Accelerate promotions; looking at the Q2 2018 Accelerate promotion it is clear the double points promotion is less generous.
Staying 3 nights (booked with the app) would only earn me 3,800 bonus points + the double points I would earn. Using the older promotion, a 3-night stay split between 2 nights over a weekend and one other night at a Holiday Inn hotel would yield the following:
- 2,000 points for the stay once task
- 3,200 points for the book two stays with app task
- 5,600 points for the staying at 2 Holiday Inn hotels task
That is a total of 10,800 bonus points for 3 nights. What is more, I would have been very close to completing a couple of the other tasks. Staying another 2 nights over a weekend (Saturday included) would yield a further 18,000 bonus points:
- 8,000 bonus points for twice making a 2-night weekend stay (Saturday included)
- 10,000 bonus points for staying 5 nights
Clearly, the new double points promotion is a downgrade from the typical Accelerate offer. Hopefully, this will be a one-off, and IHG will get back to the older format from 2019 onwards.
Is The Promotion Worth It?
It is hardly worth your while switching your stays to IHG to earn double points; at the moment there are much better promotions out there that will earn you a heap more points. On the other hand, if you are an IHG member and have stays coming up, then you should register. It only takes a couple of seconds, and double points are better than standard points.