Terms and Conditions
- Due to limited availability, each IHG Rewards Club member can only book two PointBreaks Reward Night reservations per hotel.
- Reservations can be made through Feb. 28.
- Participating hotels could change at any time.
- Normal reward night terms and conditions apply.
- You can’t sell your Reward Nights (obviously).
So, What Can You Expect?
As far as the properties you can expect, they’re all categorized by 5,000; 10,000; and 15,000 points. There are actually quite a few 5,000-point international properties this time, 11 total spread out across Brazil, Turkey, Japan and China. All are Holiday Inn properties.
Meanwhile, there are only two 5,000-point U.S. properties, both in Texas:
- Candlewood Suites Mount Pleasant
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bonham
Obviously, when you move up to the 10,000-point tier, your options improve quite a lot. There are 35 international properties at this tier, all over the globe, and a fair number of U.S. properties. For the latter, there aren’t really any in major cities — most are in small towns or midsized cities like Memphis and Pittsburgh; however, the brand options are a bit better at this tier.
- Staybridge Suites Denver South – Highlands Ranch
- Crowne Plaza Atlanta SW – Peachtree City
- Candlewood Suites Kansas City – Independence
- InterContinental Cali
- Crowne Plaza Panama
- Staybridge Suites Sao Paulo
There are fewer properties at the 15,000-point tier. There are only seven U.S. properties, and the only ones located in major cities are actually outside the city quite a bit.
- Candlewood Suites Miami Airport – Doral
- Crowne Plaza Philadelphia – King of Prussia
Among the international properties included at the 15,000-point tier, there are 14 properties to choose from. This is also where you’ll find two InterContinental properties.
- InterContinental Phu Quoc Long Beach Resort in Vietnam
- InterContinental Nairobi in Kenya
- Hotel Indigo Antwerp – City Centre
- Hotel Indigo Warsaw – Nowy Swiat
Maximize this Promotion
If you haven’t signed up for the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, it offers you a great way to maximize this promotion, primarily through the fourth-night free perk on award stays of four nights or more and, of course, the 80,000-point welcome bonus after spending $2,000 in the first 90 days.
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card additionally comes with:
- 10 points per dollar spent at IHG properties worldwide
- Free night certificate issued yearly on account anniversary
- 20-percent discount on IHG point purchases
- Complimentary Platinum Elite status with IHG Rewards Club
- A $100 statement credit every four years toward TSA PreCheck or Global Entry
- 2 points per dollar at grocery stores, restaurants and gas stations
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases
While the card is obviously a good fit if you’re already an IHG fan, pairing the welcome bonus with a PointBreaks promotion is almost too good to pass up.
- 16 5,000-point nights
- Eight 10,000-point nights
- Four 15,000-point nights.
Remember holders of the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card receive the 4th night free on award stays.
Using the PointBreaks promo stays will set you back as follows:
- 4 nights at a 5,000-point property = 15,000 points
- 4 nights at a 10,000-point property = 30,000 points
- 4 nights at a 15,000-point property = 45,000 points
Of course, this all depends on the property of your choice. Regardless, it’s a pretty sweet deal especially if you’re booking at one of the four InterContinental hotels.
Additionally, you can currently buy points until Nov. 30 and receive a 100 percent bonus. You do have to purchase 7,000 IHG points or more, but when you do so, the points are 0.5 cents apiece, a great value. (Keep in mind you can purchase up to 100,000 IHG points per year.) With this deal, you can get a night at an InterContinental property for as little as $25-$75. (If you combine the points purchase promo through Nov. 30 and the fourth-night-free perk, you basically get a 25-percent discount.)
The points purchase promotion is processed by points.com, not IHG, so while you won’t earn any credit card category bonuses when you buy, you can still use the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Card to make the purchase, which drops the point cost to 0.4 cents apiece.
All in all, this quarter’s PointBreaks offer isn’t amazing; there are only two U.S. hotels at the 5,000-point tier and not that many InterContinental hotels at all, at least not compared with previous promos. While there’s always good value to be had with PointBreaks promos, this one might not be worth going out of your way to take advantage of.
Remember, there are a limited number of nights available at each hotel that’s included within the PointBreaks promo, so if you see a hotel deal that works for you, you’re going to want to book it ASAP, before another IHG Rewards member snatches it up. With the other ways to maximize these points listed above, there’s no better time to take advantage of a PointBreaks promo.