The international Indian airline based in Mumbai, Jet Airways, is a leader in the aviation industry and in 2017 was announced as the second-largest carrier in India, following after IndiGo. Jet Airways is maintaining its dominant position and is continuously looking for ways to improve its services and expand its reach. The airline is also part of the world’s fastest growing aviation markets in the world, India, where passenger demand is quickly rising.
Jet Airways Growing Fleet to Expand Reach
Jet Airways attended 2018’s Farnborough International Airshow, where the carrier took steps towards a significant expansion of its fleet by signing a deal with Boeing for the order of 75 737 MAX 8 airplanes. The aircraft investment is worth $8.8 billion and has officially been confirmed and allocated to Jet Airways in Boeing’s order book.
The carrier’s existing fleet already includes 2 737 MAX 8s, along with 148 more expected to be delivered in coming years. The fleet also consists of other aircraft types, such as Boeing 777-300ERs, Boeing 737-900ERs, Boeing 737-900s, 737-800s, 737-700s, Airbus A330-200s and Airbus A330-300s. Jet Airways has Boeing 787-9s and Boeing 737 MAX 10s on order and is expecting to take delivery of its new airplanes soon.
The first 737 MAX aircraft order placed by Jet Airways took place in 2015 and in 2018 the total number of Boeing 737 MAXs acquired or to be received is 225 airplanes.
Answering Indian Aviation Demand
The significant purchase can be explained by the rise in passenger traffic in demand and the increased pressure placed on airlines to have the ability to satisfy the rising needs of the market. Domestic air traffic in India has jumped by 20% since 2014 and the trend is expected to continue.
Naresh Goyal, the Chairman of Jet Airways shared that the acquisition with Boeing shows the company’s dedication to the Indian market. The first delivery of the aircraft type for Jet Airways took place in June and its plans include the increase of the aircraft number to 11 by March 2019. Goyal is certain about the quality of Boeing’s product and puts the company’s trust in the ability of the 737 MAX 8 to deliver exceptional passenger comfort. Furthermore, the aircraft is to bring valuable cost reductions for the company with less fuel consumption and operational costs associated with flights.
The aircraft order further strengthens the long relationship between Boeing and Jet Airways and demonstrates the reliance the aircraft receives from aviation customers worldwide.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards