If you’re a frequent guest at both SPG and Marriott properties, the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express might be the perfect fit for you. With lots of perks all related to hotel stays, this is a must for any frequent traveler who prefers both or either brands.
- 75,000 bonus points sign-up offer
- No annual fee for the first year, followed by a $95 annual fee
- Earn 6 points per dollar spent at Starwood and Marriott hotels
- Earn 2 points per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- Annual free night award
- Silver Elite status and accelerated path to Gold status
- Fraud protection
- Purchase protection, against theft and accidental damage
- Return protection, for purchases up to 90 days from the date of purchase
- Extended warranties for up to two additional years on warranties of five years or less
The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card’s welcome bonus offer is 75,000 bonus points after you use the card for $3,000 of purchases within the first three months of card membership. Each point is worth about $0.01, so that’s about $750 in hotel stays. (Terms apply)
Annual Free Night Award
If you’re worried about that annual fee, don’t be. Cardholders of the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card get an annual free night award, which means a stay worth up to 35,000 points (in other words, more than $95). You receive this award every year after your first Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card account anniversary.
Silver Elite Status
The automatic Silver Elite status with the card is a nice bonus. Silver Elite members receive late check-out, bonus Marriott Rewards points, free WiFi (which will be sorely missed if you stay at an SPG property and you can’t access the WiFi), compensation for canceled reservations and more.
The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card’s annual fee is waived for the first year, but then is upped to $95 after your first year. This isn’t too bad considering the perks that come with it.
You can redeem points for free nights at SPG and Marriott properties, across more than two dozen brands. You can also redeem points for flights or car rentals.
The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card is a good pick for those who know they stay with SPG and/or Marriott quite a bit. Even if you don’t currently stay with these two brands a lot, but would like to start, the initial perks like free WiFi and an annual free night can come in handy.Learn More about the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express.