Today the Nordic low cost airline Primera Air will begin selling tickets for three new routes from Madrid.
The airline based in Riga, Latvia, offers flights both within Europe, and across the Atlantic. Primera has a number of bases across Europe, however, it recently suspended all flights to and from Birmingham. Interestingly, the airline which is based in Latvia, has a Danish operating certificate and Icelandic owners.
Period Of Rapid Expansion
Primera is currently undergoing a period of rapid expansion. Just last week Primera Air announced that they were launching 4 transatlantic routes from Frankfurt. The expansion continues today with the airline announcing that it is launching 3 more transatlantic routes from Madrid.
The flights from Madrid Barajas International Airport will be operated to Newark Liberty International Airport in New York, Boston Logan International Airport, and Toronto Pearson International Airport. These new routes will be expanding the company’s portfolio of over 70 destinations across the world.
B737 MAX Routes
The new routes are being launched in the summer of next year, tying in with the airline’s new B737-MAX 9 aircraft being delivered. Primera Air currently has 20 B737-MAX aircraft on order from Boeing. In addition to the new Madrid routes, they will also operate transatlantic flights from Frankfurt, Berlin and Brussels.
The new route to New York will be operating daily, starting on the 16th July 2019. Later when Primera Air’s next B737-MAX is delivered, the flights to Boston and Toronto will start on 16th and 17th of August respectively. The Boston flight will operate three times a week on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. In contrast, the Toronto flight operates four times a week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.
Opportunities For Travellers
Primera Air Chief Commercial Officer, Anastasija Visnakova, said “Having operated routes between Northern Europe and Spain for quite some time now, we are thrilled to bring low-fare transatlantic flights to Madrid. We see strong and growing demand for affordable long haul flights, and we believe this will not only provide more opportunities for travellers, but will also bring more North American tourists to Spain”
She went on to add “We intend to continue providing the lowest fares available and to keep up our range of travel options, which make it easier for travellers to go to destinations in North America, Europe and more.”
Low Cost Fares
Following the low cost pricing strategy of Primera Air, each of the three routes will have tickets available for just €149 one way. Upon writing this article, the cheapest flights available from Madrid to Newark cost €200. This is with TAP taking 23 hours with 2 stops. In contrast the cheapest direct flight to Newark costs 10x more at €2,088 with United. Alternately you could fly direct to JFK for €1,789 with AirEuropa.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards