The Hilton Honors American Express card (read more) is well known as a great choice, thanks in part to the no annual fee and wide array of Hilton properties all over the world. However, what are the rest of the details surrounding this card and is it a good fit for you? Simple Flying’s review of the Hilton Honors Credit Card from American Express tells you everything you need to know.
The Sign-Up Bonus
The Hilton Honors Credit Card offers a sign-up bonus of 75,000 Hilton points after you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first three months (learn more). This means that you’ll have about $375 in travel to spend on average, but it is possible to get a great deal on select stays, in which your points are worth a lot more (about triple the average value).
Points Earning Potential
The card earns…
- 7X points per $1 spent at a Hilton property
- 5X points per $1 spent at any U.S. restaurant, supermarket or gas station
- 3X points per $1 spent on everything else
You can spend your points of course at any of the Hilton brands. You can also pool your points with 10 people, and there’s an option to pay for a stay with partial points.
There’s no award chart for Hilton properties, which makes the redemption process a little tricky, and tedious, if you don’t have one specific property you want to stay at. You’ll have to do some digging around to find the really great deals, if you’re open to staying in various different properties in various different cities.
Extra Cardholder Perks
There are a wealth of cardholder perks (learn more) that come along with the Hilton Honors American Express card. Cardholders enjoy complimentary Silver status, which means you get…
- Your fifth award night free
- 20 percent more points when you book direct with Hilton (so, all in all, you get 10 points per $1 for booking direct, 7 points per $1 for using your card and then a 20 percent bonus for having Silver status…that’s 19 points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels!)
Then, if you go on to spend $20,000 in a year, you’re upgraded to Gold status, where the perks include room upgrades, free breakfast and an 80 percent bonus on base points instead of just the 20 percent bonus.
Other perks include…
- Complimentary ShopRunner membership
- Access to AMEX Offers
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fees
Is This Card Right For You?
Do you stay at Hilton properties frequently, and have a high affinity for the brand? Do you have a credit score of at least 700? Then there’s really no reason you shouldn’t have this card in your wallet (read more)!