Avianca LifeMiles has announced its final promotion for the year with a huge 145% bonus on the purchase of LifeMiles. The is the biggest bonus we ever see LifeMiles on offer for and can yield some terrific value. You will have to hurry to take advantage of the Promotion Since it ends on December 30, 2018, 11:59 pm GMT (06:59 pm ET). The promotion is targeted so you will have to check your Avianca LifeMiles account to see if you have been targeted for the promotion.
- Promotion is valid Though December 30, 2018, 11:59 pm GMT (06:59 pm ET)
- Receive a bonus of 145% on the purchase of LifeMiles
- Promotion is targeted so you will have to check your LifeMiles Account
- You can purchase a maximum of 200,000 LifeMiles per calendar year
- LifeMiles are sold in blocks of 1,000 miles costing $33 per 1,000 LifeMiles
Maximizing the promotion (purchasing 200,000 LifeMiles), you will receive a total of 490,000 Life miles for a cost of $6,600. This would work out at 1.37 cents apiece, compared to the normal rate of 3.3 cents apiece.
Great Value Redeeming LifeMiles
Even though purchasing the maximum number of miles will cost a significant amount, you can redeem your miles for awards that would normally cost many times more in cash. Checking out the LifeMiles Star Alliance Partner award chart you can redeem miles on the following routes:
- The US to Europe- From 90,000 LifeMiles one way in first class
- The US to Europe- From 63,000 LifeMiles one way in business class
- The US to North Asia (including Japan and China)- from 90,000 miles one way in first class
- The US to North Asia (including Japan and China)- from 75,000 miles one way in business class
Purchasing the maximum number of miles would give you enough miles for 5 one way awards from the US to Europe or North Asia in First Class, which is tremendous value.
Boosting Your LifeMiles Balance
Avianca is one of the few airlines around that have that are partners with multiple flexible point currencies. American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Capital One Venture Miles can all be transferred to Avianca LifeMiles. So points earned from you Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Ink Business Preferred Card can all be transferred to LifeMiles, as well as those earned from The Platinum Card from American Express (learn more), and the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card (learn more).
Avianca process the purchase of LifeMiles itself which opens up the opportunity to earn even more points by using a credit card with travel as a bonus category. If most of your use of the miles would be for business travel, then the Ink Business Preferred Card would be a great option and will earn you 3X per dollar. While on the personal side of things The Platinum Card from American Express (read more) will earn you an industry leading 5X per dollar.
This is a great promotion to take advantage of, and is the gold standard of mile purchase promotions. If you are tempted to take advantage of the promotion, you need to remember that LifeMiles will expire within 12 months without any earning activity on your account. So make sure you either plan on using all your miles within 12 months, or you will have some additional earning activity to keep your miles alive.