Etihad Guest has announced a promotion, where you will receive a 20% bonus on points transfers from hotel programs. The promotion runs through October 31, 2018. The offer includes some of the big names in the hotel world like Hilton and IHG, and also includes several programs local to the United Arab Emirates.
The deal is straightforward with relatively few terms and conditions. The key details include:
- Promotion is valid through October 31, 2018
- Receive a 20% bonus on the standard transfer ratio
- Allow up to 15 days for the points to post to your Etihad account
Participating Hotel Brands
Transfers from the following hotel programs are eligible for the 20% discount:
- Accor: ratio 2:1 minimum transfer 4,000 points
- Hilton Honors: ratio 10:1 minimum transfer 10,000 points
- IHG: ratio 5:1 minimum transfer 10,000 points
- World of Hyatt: ratio 2.5:1 minimum transfer 5,000 points
- Carlson Rezidor: ratio 10:1 minimum transfer N/A
- Shangri-La: ratio 1:1 minimum transfer 1,000 points
- Marriott Rewards: ratio 3:1 minimum transfer 3,000 points
If you are based in the UAE, there are other non-hotel programs that are eligible for the transfer bonus. Whether a transfer would represent good value or not will depend on what alternatives you could use your points for locally. Local participants include:
- Al Hilal Bank
- Citibank UAE
- Emirates Islamic Bank
- NBAD Stars
- National Commercial Bank
- Etisalat Smiles
- Commercial Bank of Dubai
- Boubyan Bank
- ADCB TouchPoints
Should You Do It?
Looking at the transfer ratio, transferring points to Etihad even with a 20% bonus would not be the greatest deal in the world. If you are very close to a redemption with Etihad (a few thousand points), then this promotion may be worth your while, especially if you have a relatively small balance of hotel points and have no use for them in the foreseeable future.
Transferring hotel points to airline miles is generally never a good idea. Across the industry, transfer ratios tend to be bad, and you can get much better value for your points in other ways. The only exception to this is the Marriott Rewards Hotel + Air travel packages, which can provide some great value especially if there is a transfer bonus on offer.
If you are looking for a substantial number of Etihad points, you should give this promotion a miss and look for another avenue; on the other hand, if you just need a few thousand points for a redemption, then this promotion could work out well for you.