It can be frustrating trying to book award seats on a number of airlines. You’re ready to book, but you never know when you can expect to find the award seats you want. If one’s not available for your required itinerary, you might pass a trip up…only to find the award seats released at a later date.
So, if you’re trying to book a flight on British Airways, when can you expect them to release the award seats? What’s a frequent flyer to do? Thankfully, (at least in this one instance), British Airways is not your average airline and you can always rely on them to post their award seats (or at least a portion of their award seats) at one singular time for every flight.
British Airways releases a minimum of two Club World award seats and four World Traveller award seats on all British Airways flights.
These seats are released 355 days before a flight’s departure, at 1 a.m. U.K. time (during British Summer Time) and 12 a.m. U.K. time (during the rest of the year).
These award seats are often up on the site almost right to the minute.
Knowing this, if there’s a flight you absolutely want to book a year out, using your Avios, mark your calendar, sit down at the computer and book it when the clock strikes the appropriate time.
If you do this, and there are no more award seats available, it means some lucky member got to them before you did. However, don’t lose hope. British Airways releases additional award seats leading up to the flight, if they see not all the seats are going to be booked by paying customers.
Earning Your Avios
But before you can spend your Avios, you must earn them. So, which credit cards are best for earning Avios or for earning points that then transfer into Avios? Here are a few that will work.
- British Airways Visa Signature® Credit Card (with a 100,000 sign-up bonus available)
- American Express Platinum (read more)
- American Express Gold (Read More)
- IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- Chase Freedom Unlimited℠ card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve Card
- Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
- Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card
- The Blue Business Plus Card from American Express (read more)
- The Business Platinum Card from American Express
- American Express Business Gold
- Starwood Preferred Guest/Starwood Preferred Guest Business credit cards (Read More)
- The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card